SDM1 by ASN
- ASN was the first to introduce SDM1 to the market in 2016
- Presentation of the first 16 fiber pairs cable at SubOptic in 2016
- SDM1 fully qualified in 2019
ASN proposes an innovative design approach optimizing cost per bit. This disruptive solution is an alternative to the traditional design philosophy status quo.
The SDM1 powered by ASN is revolutionizing the traditional submarine network design: "High power, High OSNR, High Effective Area (Aeff) fibre" by using "Low Power, Low OSNR, Low Aeff Fibre and more fibre pairs" in order to:
- Push the limits of theoretical design capacity by minimizing nonlinear effects that add complexity and cost;
- Create and efficient optical and electrical network based on repeater pump farming, low Aeff submarine fibres, and higher fibre counts;
- Work in the optimum spectral efficiency of SLTE : 2-3 b/s/Hz and lower chromatic dispersion compensation.
SDM1 powered by ASN is a simple and smart combination of:
- New product features, including :
- Repeater pumping schemes;
- Higher Fibre count submarine cable designs.
- Proven and widely use fibre technologies;
- Optimised electrical dimensioning resulting in a smaller cable conductor;
- Optimum spectral efficiency range (2-3 b/s/Hz) with lower chromatic dispersion compensation.
A PROMISING TECHNOLOGY
- "Alcatel Submarine Networks, Facebook Roll Out Aluminium Conductor for Subsea Cables", article by Subsea World News
- "ASN develops SDM1 to meet growing subsea needs", Interview of Paul Gabla (Chief Sales & Marketing officer of ASN ) for Capacity Media
- "Pump farming as enabling factor to increase subsea cable capacity", paper for SubOptic
- "Subsea Open cables, a practical perspective on the guidelines and gotchas", paper for SubOptic
- SubOptic 2019 - Day 4 wrap-up video, Interview of Pascal Pecci (product marketing manager) during SubOptic wrap-up
- SubTel forum magazine#106, Link to the website and magazine
- "SDM1 : a revolution for the submarine industry", extract from theSubTel forum magazine#106
- "ASN introduces an innovative spatial division multiplexing design, SDM1 by ASN", article by submarine cable networks
A renowned tool: SDM in ASN efficient projects